Friday, March 30, 2012

Final evaluation for Creativity, Service and Action


During the last two years of my IB diploma I have been involved in various different activities. Here is a list of all of them and what I have accomplished:

Community and Service: 

Bethlehem Crèche: This has been the main service which I have been involved in. I have been one of the leaders for this through grade 12 and a member since grade 11. We have been able to accomplish quite a few things. For example we taught the children a few nursery songs, won a Yamaha keyboard for them, interacted with the children, started painting the murals at the playground (still in progress) and donated various books and items for their education. This community and service program has been a global issue and it has made us as leaders make ethical decisions as how to treat the children and what to do which would benefit them best. As an individual I have grown in how to show perseverance and commitment to this program, planned and initiated activities, worked collaboratively with others and developed new skills in how to be a good leader.  It has been a pleasure being one of the leaders for this service as it has taught me a lot throughout these last 2 years. I will probably be involved in something like this in the future as I love children and helping them.
Alzheimer’s: I took part in the walk for Alzheimer’s during 2011 in order to show perseverance to a global issue as I was making more people aware of this cause. I also considered ethical issues as to how this could help people in the community around me become more aware.

Action:
Football 2010 and 2012: When I first started football in 2010 I was just a beginner at it. This team sport has really helped me in accomplishing new skills, commitment, working collaboratively and strengthening skills. This is a sport I have really enjoyed apart from all the school work. For both years we were really close in becoming champions however it was a great experience!
Motocross:  This has been one of my hobbies since I was nine years old and I believe that by continuing this hobby I have strengthened my skills, learnt new skills and showed perseverance and commitment. It is something I really enjoy and it will be something that I will continue practicing in the future even though it is a dangerous sport. I am willing to take this risk in order to become a better driver.
Track and Field 2011: I thought that I would be able to do track and field again this year however, football and track & field were at the same time so I had to choose one. During 2011 I was able to show commitment to the sport and collaboration with the other team members throughout. I managed to beat my personal records as well improve previous skills.
Basketball: I tried out for this in 2011 however I was not able to travel which therefore meant that I couldn’t be on the team. This was a new sport that I tried out for and by doing this I showed how I undertook a new challenge and tried something new. I learnt a few skills but I still believe that I can strengthen these skills in the future if I want to play at some point.

Creativity:
Stage and set direction: For this after school activity I showed commitment and perseverance as I showed up to help paint the drop back for one of the primary productions. I developed new skills as well as strengthened old ones through painting. This activity helped me collaborate with other member of the activity in order to work as a team to finish the drop back.
Week Without Walls: During week without walls I was involved in painting the murals of one school in Hambantota during grade 11. This showed my creativity skills as I had to use old skills in order to paint the murals at the school. By doing this we brought a smile to the children at the school. I also initiated activities such as the design of the mural as I have always been a good artist.
Fashion Show: I undertook a new challenge by trying out for the fashion show which would be held at school in 2012. However, I did not make it but by trying at least I knew that I had done my best. This showed that I have areas to grow in when it comes to fashion shows. I liked it as long as it lasted.

Through this reflection it shows how much I have grown as an individual by undertaking all these different activities in the last 2 years. I think that it has really helped me in developing new skills and offered a wide range of activities which I have enjoyed. I will be continuing helping children in the future as well as my other hobbies such as motocross, football and track & field as I am a very athletic person. As this is the end of CAS for this year I believe that most of my goals have been achieved except for one which was to join a motocross race. However this can still be done in the future and I think it will be better off this way.  I have really enjoyed the CAS program at OSC and I hope it continues like this in the future as it has such a variety of activities to choose from!

No comments:

Post a Comment